Yu Sheng is a super easy salad to whip up, but the key is placing the yu sheng in this wonderful sauce for just long enough that it absorbs all that flavor.
For the yu sheng:
• 5 oz (150 g) golden beets, peeled and julienned
• 8 oz (250 g) Asian green, roughly chopped
• 8 oz (250 g) mung bean sprouts, tails removed
• 1/2 cup crispy fried onions
• 1/2 cup crispy anchovies
• 3 1/2 oz (100 g) snow peas, julienned into long strips, or just use a bag of fried salad mix
For the dressing:
• 1/2 cup peanut oil
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 3 tsp sesame oil
• 4 tbsp rice vinegar
1. In a large bowl, add the beets and green. Add 1 tbsp of salt and cold water to cover all ingredients completely.
2. Soak overnight or at least 12 hours in the fridge
3. Drain and pat dry with paper towels
4. In VENTRAY electric grill on medium-high heat, add peanut oil until hot, about 1 minute.
5. Add the beets and green and fry, stirring often for about 5 minutes or until just cooked through.
6. Remove from heat and add crispy anchovy, shredded dried squid, and fried onion slices. Toss to combine thoroughly.
7. In a small bowl add the ingredients for yu sheng dressing and whisk till smooth.
8. In another large bowl add the lettuce and pour in some yu sheng dressing, use more or less depending on how much salad you want to make.
9. Place a handful of lettuce on a plate or a serving dish, place a small scoop of yu sheng next to it and sprinkle with some crispy anchovy and fried onion slices.
10. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.