The sourness from the lemongrass makes this dish refreshing while still warming at the same time. You can even have it with some rice or bread for a fuller meal!
• 1/2 lb small whole shrimp (with shells)
• 2 stalks lemongrass, white part only
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 2-3 tablespoons tom yum paste
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 1 cup mushrooms
• Juice of half a lime
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water and clean it if necessary. Trim off any bits of shell. Peel away the tough outer layers from the lemongrass until you reach a soft tender core about 5 inches long.
2. Smash this with a meat mallet to bruise it which will help release its flavors and then finely mince it to make about two teaspoons worth.
3. Heat the oil in VENTRAY electric grill over medium heat. Once hot add the tom yum paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Add two cups of chicken broth along with the broken-up shrimp, lemongrass, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat so that it is gentle simmer and cook until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through about 6-8 minutes depending on their size.
6. Stir in the lime juice taste for seasoning adding more if necessary.
7. Ladle into bowls and serve hot with rice or noodles.