Whip up delicious simple homemade sugar donuts with our easy, step-by-step recipe. Perfect for beginners and donut lovers alike!
For the Donuts:
• 1 ¼ cups milk
• 2 ¼ teaspoon (one packet) active dry yeast
• 2 eggs
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
• ¼ cup granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
• 2 quarts neutral oil, for frying (like canola or vegetable)
For the Glaze:
• 2 cups powdered sugar
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Prepare the Dough: Warm the milk until it’s about 110°F (warm but not hot to the touch). Add the yeast and let it sit for about 5 minutes to activate. In Ventray stand mixer, combine the yeast mixture, eggs, butter, sugar, and salt, then gradually add in the flour until a sticky dough forms.
2. Let it Rise: Cover the mixing bowl with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm area for about 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
3. Roll & Cut the Donuts: Flour your surface and roll out your dough to about ½ inch thick. Use your round cutters to cut out donut shapes and donut holes. Re-roll the remaining dough and repeat until all the dough is used.
4. Fry the Donuts: Heat your oil to 375°F in your Ventray Electric Indoor Grill. Fry the donuts, a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Fry for about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon or fry basket to transfer the donuts to a cooling rack.
5. Prepare the Glaze: While the donuts are cooling, mix together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract to make the glaze. It should be smooth and runny.
6. Glaze the Donuts: Once the donuts are cooled, brush them with the glaze using your pastry brush. Let the glaze harden for about 20 minutes before serving.