Create and enjoy a delicious Italian cuisine right inside your home.
• 300g bucatini or other long dried pasta
• 150ml extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 1 small fennel bulb, finely chopped, fronds reserved
• 1 1/2 tbs tomato paste
• 4 anchovies, drained on paper towel
• 1/4 cup white wine
• 12 fresh sardine fillets
• 1/3 cup sultanas
• 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
• Generous pinch saffron threads
1. Add the pasta to the boiling salted water and cook according to packet instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water.
2. Add half of the oil to a frypan over medium heat.
3. Toss breadcrumbs in pan and cook until golden. Then move the crumbs to a bowl.
4. Add the remaining oil to VENTRAY grill over medium heat.
5. Stir in onion and fennel, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add tomato paste and anchovies, and wine, then bring to a simmer.
7. Stir in sardine fillets, sultanas, pine nuts and saffron.
8. Add enough of the reserved cooking water and cook for 5-6 minutes.
9. Toss sauce with the bucatini.
10. Topped with the toasted breadcrumbs and fennel fronds.