This one-pot cheesy turkey tamale pie is saucy, creamy, cheesy, delicious, and easy to make. You just need one-pot, one mixing bowl, and an oven. Enjoy this cozy and comfort food with your families.
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 2 cups milk
• 1 cup polenta
• 4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese shredded plus 4 ounces more for topping
• 1/4 teaspoon salt + pepper
• 2-4 tablespoons butter
For turkey mixture
• 2 cup leftover turkey shredded
• 1 cup leftover gravy or 1/2 cup extra enchilada sauce
• 1 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon salt + pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 red bell pepper diced
• 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans rinsed + drained if using canned
• Diced avocado
• Pomegranate salsa
• 4 ounces crumbled queso fresco
• Fresh cilantro chopped
• In crushed tortilla chips
1. Make the polenta. Pour the chicken broth and milk into a medium pot and bring to a boil.
2. Lower the heat to medium and slowly whisk in the polenta. Cook, stirring frequently, until the polenta is soft and thick, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Keep warm and then just before serving, stir in the cheddar cheese and butter, season with salt and pepper.
4. If the polenta seems a little thick you can add a tablespoon of butter or extra milk.
5. Preheat VENTRAY oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Combine the turkey, gravy, red enchilada sauce, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a large bowl.
7. Stir in the red pepper and black beans.
8. Once the polenta is done cooking, smooth it out into a single layer and then pour the turkey tamale mixture over the polenta, spreading it into an even layer.
9. Top with cheese.
10. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pie is bubbling and the cheese is melted.
11. Allow to sit 5 to 10 minutes and then serve with avocado, fresh cilantro, salsa, queso fresco, and tortilla chips.