Black Eyed Peas are food traditions for good luck food served on New Year’s Day in the Southern United States. You can serve these black-eyed peas as a side dish or use them as an appetizer by scooping them onto crackers.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 can of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat the oil in VENTRAY electric grill over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add the black-eyed peas and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
4. Serve warm.