After an indulgent holiday season, Mapo Tofu makes a great dish for keeping it light.
• 3 tablespoons oil
• 1 block firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes (do not press it)
• 2 tablespoons Chinese black bean and garlic sauce (doubanjiang)
• 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
• 2 tablespoons chili paste
• 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
• 2 teaspoons sugar
1. Heat the oil in VENTRAY electric grill over medium heat. Add the tofu and fry until browned, turning gently to avoid crumbling. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon.
2. Drain off all but about 1 tablespoon of oil, then add the Sichuan peppercorns and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
3. Add the chili paste, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine or dry sherry and sugar. Stir to mix well, then return the tofu to the grill.
4. Turn up the heat and stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes until heated through.
5. Remove from the heat and serve.