French Onion soup is one of the most popular soups in France! It’s made with beef broth, onions, and French bread which you should toast before serving.
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 3 pounds yellow onions, thinly sliced
• ½ teaspoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon salt plus more to taste
• 2 quarts beef broth or stock (low sodium if store-bought)
• ¼ cup dry sherry wine (optional and can be substituted with white wine)
• ½ cup red burgundy wine (also optional and can be substituted with any full-bodied flavorful red wine)
• Pieces of French baguette or sourdough bread for serving
1. Heat the butter in VENTRAY electric grill over medium-high heat until melted.
2. Add onions and cook them stirring frequently until golden brown. Make sure you don’t burn the onions, so lower the heat if needed. Once the onions are golden brown add in sugar and flour and continue to cook for a couple of minutes until all the ingredients are well mixed.
3. Now add in salt, beef broth, or stock and both wines then bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and let it simmer uncovered for about one hour, stirring occasionally making sure you scrape from the bottom so that nothing sticks to the pot.
4. After one hour, soup is done cooking and ready to be served! Spoon out a couple of spoonfuls of soup into a bowl add a few onion slices on top sprinkle with black pepper and serve with crusty bread if desired.