The Christmas holiday season is a time of joy and celebration. And what better way to show your holiday spirit than by baking a delicious Challah bread?
• 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
• ¼ cup of granulated sugar
• ¾ cup of tepid water
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 3 eggs
• ½ tablespoon salt
• 3 ½ cups of bread flour
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the tepid water. Allow sitting for 10 minutes until frothy.
2. In Ventray Stand Mixer, mix together the oil, eggs, salt, and bread flour until just combined.
3. Pour the yeast mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until a soft dough forms.
4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 8-10 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover it with plastic wrap or a damp towel, and let rise in a warm place for 1 ½ hour or until it has doubled in size.
6. Punch the dough down and divide it into three equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a long, thin strand.
7. Braid the Challah strands together and make sure to pinch the ends of the braid together. Place on an oiled baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
8. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes until the Challah has doubled in size.
9. Preheat Ventray Oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly brush the top of the Challah with egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or chocolate chips, if desired.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the Challah sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
11. Allow cooling completely before serving. Enjoy!