Sufganiyot (Jelly-Filled Doughnuts)
Irresistible sufganiyot are golden and fluffy doughnuts, oozing with fruity goodness. Perfectly sweet to light up your Hanukkah celebration.
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Fruit jam or jelly
- In Ventray Stand Mixer bowl, mix the yeast, warm water, and a pinch of sugar. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- Add flour, salt, eggs, milk, and softened butter to the yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes until smooth.
- Add a bit more flour if it’s too sticky.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl. Cover and let it rise for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut rounds with a 3-inch cutter.
- Spoon jam onto half the rounds and top with the other half, sealing the edges.
- Cover and let doughnuts rise for 30 minutes, until slightly puffy.
- Heat oil to 350°F. Fry doughnuts 2-3 minutes per side until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Dust warm sufganiyot with powdered sugar.