You can’t celebrate Lunar New Year without rice! We try to make the dish as traditional as possible, but variations like crab-fried rice and vegetable fried rice are also delicious.
• 2 cups cooked white rice (12 ounces; 350g)
• 2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable or canola oil, divided
• 1 small onion, finely chopped (4 ounces; 115g)
• 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into small dice (3 ounces; 85g)
• 2 scallions, thinly sliced (1 ounce; 30g)
• 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons; 5g)
• 1 teaspoon (5ml) soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon (5ml) toasted sesame oil
• Kosher salt and ground white pepper
• 1 large egg
• 4 ounces (115g) frozen peas
1. Heat the vegetable oil (or canola oil) in VENTRAY electric grill over medium heat until shimmering.
2. Add the onion, cooked white rice, and carrot; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the scallions and garlic; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute more.
4. Stir in the peas and soy sauce; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
5. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool slightly for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sesame oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Return the grill to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon (15ml) canola oil; heat until shimmering.
7. Add the egg mixture in a circular motion. Cook for 1 minute more.
8. Reduce heat to medium-low. Serve immediately.