Cook: 20 mins Total: 50 mins Prep: 30 mins Servings: 2
• 1 large red apple, cored and very thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
• 1/4 cup melted butter
• 1 egg
• 2 teaspoons water
• 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar (Optional)
1. Preheat VENTRAY oven to 380 degrees F. Butter 2 small ramekins and dust with white sugar.
2. Place apple slices on a plate, overlapping slightly if necessary. Microwave on High for about 45 seconds just until slices have softened a bit. Cover the plate with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel.
3. Mix together sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
4. Roll puff pastry sheet to less than 1/8-inch thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cut two 3-inch by 12-inch rectangles. Reserve remaining pieces for another use.
5. Spread melted butter over the dough; top with a generous amount of cinnamon sugar. Place apple slices along 1 long edge of the dough, about 1/4 inch beyond the edge of the dough, overlapping slices slightly. Fold the bottom half of the dough over the apple slices to form a long “folder” of dough with rounded edges of apple slices exposed.
6. Beat egg and water together in a bowl. Paint the surface of the dough with egg wash. Sprinkle with more cinnamon-sugar, to taste.
7. Starting from one end, roll dough not too tightly to form a rose-shaped pastry. Seal roll with end of dough strip.
8. Transfer roses to prepared ramekins. Sprinkle with a little more cinnamon sugar. Place ramekins directly on the middle rack of the preheated oven.
9. Bake until well browned, about 18 minutes. Remove ramekins with tongs and place them on a baking sheet to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove apple roses from ramekins and finish cooling