Baked Alaska is the perfect way to end any new year eve meal. Your favorite cake and creamy ice cream are baked together in the VENTRAY oven until they’re golden brown, so every bite is full of flavor.
For the Cake:
• 1 cupcake flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp salt 6 large egg whites, room temperature
• ¾ cup sugar
• ¼ tsp cream of tartar
• 1½ tbs vanilla extract
• Extra sugar for dusting meringue
For the Ice Cream Layer:
• 2 pints of best-quality ice cream (chocolate and vanilla work well together)
1. Preheat the VENTRAY oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder; set aside.
3. Beat the egg whites at medium speed in the VENTRAY stand mixer until foamy. Add the sugar, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract; beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the sifted ingredients until just combined.
4. Divide mixture evenly between 2 bowls. Sprinkle each with extra sugar. Place 1 bowl of meringue mixture on the prepared baking sheet; spread into a 9-inch circle. Freeze for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight).
5. Soften ice cream slightly before scooping it into a large bowl. Fold the strawberry mixture into the ice cream. Cover and store in the freezer until ready to use.
6. Place remaining meringue mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet; spread into an 8 1/2-inch circle. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, then freeze for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight).
7. Just before serving, assemble the pavlova: With an offset spatula or large spoon, mound half of the ice cream in the center of one meringue round. Top with another round; gently press down to form a 9-inch disc. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients to create the second disc.
8. Melt chocolate over a double boiler; spread over each cake round to cover completely. Freeze for 30 minutes, or until chocolate is set.
9. Use parchment paper to slide one disc onto a serving plate; remove the parchment and ice cream from the bottom of the second sheet (invert it onto the first). Remove parchment and ice cream from the top sheet (invert it onto the second disc. Press down gently on both layers together, forming a complete double-layer Pavlova Cake. Cover with plastic wrap, then foil.
10. Freeze until ready to serve.